<1 min reads
The Square Tower is located at waterfront, near Sarawak River. The building was originally constructed in 1879 as a prison. Historic and nice white square tower bears the Brooke era coat of arms. It was then later turned into a fortress, but fortunately never fired a shot in anger, unlike its wooden predecessor which was burnt down in the 1857 gold miners` rebellion. It is now occupied by Magenta, a popular fine-dining restaurant and nice locating to snap good pictures.