1 min reads
The Fort Sylvia (Malay: Kubu Sylvia) is a historical fort in Kapit, Sarawak. Malaysia. It was built in 1880, it was renamed after Rani Sylvia Brooke, wife of Rajah Charles Vyner Brooke, in 1925. During the 1960s, the fort housed the District Office and the District Court House, and later the Resident’s Office when Kapit Division was formed in 1973.
In May 1997, the Sarawak state government gave approval for the monument to be managed by the Tun Jugah Foundation and to set up a museum within the fort itself. The Tun Jugah Foundation was given the responsibility of conservation and renovation works, which commenced immediately and was completed by December 1998.
The Tun Jugah Foundation converted Fort Sylvia into a museum and fountain of history in Kapit town. It consists of many sections such as History, Community Wall of Fame, Tun Jugah Gallery, Iban Costumes and Textiles, Mural Painting of the Iban World, Hall of Fame, Amber Gallery, Weaving / Handicraft Workshop and Other Rooms.